I have made another change to the slide carriage mount. I left out the part that actually lets the wire through. Originally the mount didn’t have a front and back, so it wasn’t a problem. Later I added them for stability, they helped a lot, but they still need a way for the magnet wire to pass through. So I cut slots out, and will put 1/4″ delrin rods at the top of the slot to protect the wire as it is pulled through. I should have a picture later today or tomorrow.
Tonight I cut out the carriage mounting plate and the delrin wiring guide. I didn’t have any M4 bolts long enough to mount all the carriage parts, but Marty suggested I counterbore space for the bolt heads. That worked like a charm! Here it is, almost complete with parts laid out in their approximate position.
So I glued up the parts I just cut out, and fit them to the mount templates I’ve been making so it wouldn’t glue up crooked and not fit right. Here’s a pic. I’m really fond of this design, and it looks cool with my maker mark. I may still add the OLED screen to the front. Also, still need to make the wire feeder, and the left and right limit switches.
Astute observers will notice a difference between yesterday’s picture of cut-out pieces and today’s pic. That’s because the part was re-re-designed and cut out again. It’s nice that prototyping is so quick with the laser…
Last night I cut out all the new wooden parts, and a hunk of delrin off my big (2 x 2.5 x 12″) block. I also used the lathe to make an aluminum coupler to go from the NEMA17’s 5mm shaft to my 8mm carbon steel rod. I also tried out an idea for my “maker mark” by scanning my chop in and burning its imprint with the laser. Here are some pictures.
Last night I did some more CAD work, drawing up v2.0 of some of my coiler machine pieces. I think the spool motor mount is good to go, but I modified the pulley mount, the carriage mount, and the carriage motor mount files. The magnet wire spindle mount was updated too, since I have two different magnet wire spool sizes (the larger has a 5/8″ center hole and the smaller has a 1″ center hole—don’t ask me why though.
I also did some measuring and drew up the profile for the carriage, which rides over two linear bearings (these, specifically). The last part I have to design now is the wire guide that will sit on the carriage. It will be machined from delrin, probably with a small-diameter hole going through it with a countersink on one side to guide the magnet wire through.
I also still need a coupler to go between the NEMA17 motor shaft and my 8mm steel rod. The ones I found are used in 3D printers and would be great except they’re built with some cuts so they flex (to prevent binding when things aren’t perfectly aligned I guess), but the flex is a non-starter for me. As soon as I installed one I saw how bad it was going to be for my purpose. However, this part will be easy to freehand on the lathe from some aluminum rod stock I have sitting around.
Tonight I hope to cut the pieces out on the laser and glue things up, and if I have enough time to also make the coupler on the lathe.
Last night I was given an unpopulated stepper motor board, so I soldered a bunch of headers on it, attached my “Plan B” DRV8825 stepper controllers to it, and crimped up some custom cables. “Plan A” was to use Adafruit’s Stepper Shield to run two NEMA17 stepper motors, but after one caught on fire and a second just not seeming to pass enough current to the motor, I’m giving up on it and switching to the 8825 chips. The 8825s are sensitive to LC (inductive capacitive) voltage spikes from power leads longer than a couple of inches, and it’s strongly recommended to put a capacitor between VCC and ground as close to the 8825 as possible. This board neatly solves that problem by putting the capacitor right under the 8825 between the headers. I even color-coded the header pins for the different stepper motors and the inputs.
Here is a link to a short YouTube video of the laser in action. I have yet to get tired of watching it work. In this video, I’m cutting out v2 of my stepper motor mount for the new coiling machine. https://youtu.be/My6lsID7fZ0