I made two new spools last night, setup/etc from start to finish took about an hour. As I make more I’m sure that time will come down. Just making the second one was much faster than the first. I am not super fast on zeroing my tools though. And well I probably shouldn’t be since I’m no professional. I take my time and try to get it all right the first time.
So here’s a picture of the new flipper spools I hope to coil tonight. I got a new shipment of black delrin rods 1.375 and 1.5 inches in diameter. These are 2.25″ long, 1.25″ diameter at the flanges. Center hole is 0.376″, the flanges are 0.100″ thick, and the spool walls are 0.112″. The tool in the picture is a reamer, .376″ diameter. I drill the center holes out with a 23/64″ bit, then use the reamer to open up the last 17 thousandths of an inch. It’s more accurate that way.
Working with the digital readout on the lathe has been real interesting. The Y axis (diameter) is set to the full size you are working with, not half of the diameter as I would have thought.