I started out thinking I’d have to make a new driver board, then thought I’d try to hack the broken one and fix it. So I filed off a few copper traces and soldered in a hack to make it behave. The results speak for themselves. The motors are up and running! I had to reverse the directions in my code because they rotated the other way, but that was simple.
Once I had the motors (and the code running them) tested and working, I revisited by 5-8mm coupler. I don’t know what I was thinking back then but I made the 5mm side too big, and the winding mechanism had an eccentric wobble because of it. So I made a new one on the lathe. Then I put it all together and found out my spool of magnet wire was dragging on the base plate, adding a whole bunch of friction that I don’t want the motor to attempt to overcome. So I modified the CAD for the magnet wire holder to be taller, and added a locking plate underneath so I don’t have to glue it down. We’ll see how well that works. It still seems a bit loose.
I was really hoping to make a new solenoid tonight, but my progress today was stellar and I’m happy.
Oh yeah, side note. I had to re-drill and tap the set screw holes on the coupler. Some well-intentioned but slightly retarded person put a 3mm drill bit in with the 3mm tap set (we have 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5mm taps with the corresponding drills together for easy use). Since the 3mm screws have a 0.5mm pitch you’re supposed to only drill a 2.5mm hole, then use the 3mm tap to get it to the right size. So shame on me for not checking first, but that’s why the sets are separate..