Last night I spent a good deal of time fighting to get my code onto the Arduino I installed on my coiling machine, only to find out it’s got a bad bootloader. You see, the Arduino I attached was the same one I used a few weeks back when I was testing an Adafruit stepper controller shield. It caught on fire. Apparently as it did so, it also fried the Arduino (I call it Deaduino now). So I pulled it, and replaced it with the (only) spare I had and things started looking better.
That debugging process took up a lot of my time. But I managed to start talking to the OLED display with the replacement Arduino. Once I had that working, I found that my switches were really random. They were floating as I didn’t use pull-down resistors. So I reversed the logic in the code, because the Arduino has built-in pull-up resistors. Now the switches are reliable.
Then I tried to get the motors working, but it turns out I hadn’t calibrated the voltage yet (fixed that), and I didn’t supply the 5v logic to the board that I need to enable the DRV8825 chips (to be fair, I thought it was all tied to 12v—the board was a freebie and came with no documentation). So I had to do some digging on the DRV8825 motor driver, which took up the rest of my time.
Oh, and since nobody is really reading this right now, there was a BIG announcement today that directly impacts my chosen pinball game theme. Good times are ahead…