Well that didn’t take long. After assembling all the parts and checking alignment, attaching the GT2 belt, tapping the spool holder end stop for a set screw, and cutting out two small neoprene washers to hold the spool, it was time to evaluate where the electronics will go.
I played around with the parts (mainly an Arduino Uno, a custom stepper controller board, and a 12v power supply), and found a layout that made me happy. I drew up some CAD plans for the Arduino Uno mounting holes, the stepper board holes, and the MeanWell 12v power supply and added them to my base CAD drawing. I also added feet at each corner, and also drew up a custom assembly to hold the C14 power socket and switch. Then I added holes to route wires underneath the board. Then I cut everything out (except for the power assembly) and checked the fit of the feet. Looking good!
So to say the least, last night was extremely productive. I plan on making some small standoffs for the Arduino mount, and maybe a thin-gauge metal plate for the power assembly to fit into. The final bit I haven’t drawn up is the OLED that will mount on the front of the idler assembly, which will be quick but require a new idler set to be cut out.
All that said, I expect to be testing electronics and writing code very soon.