More CAD Work

Last night I did some more CAD work, drawing up v2.0 of some of my coiler machine pieces. I think the spool motor mount is good to go, but I modified the pulley mount, the carriage mount, and the carriage motor mount files. The magnet wire spindle mount was updated too, since I have two different magnet wire spool sizes (the larger has a 5/8″ center hole and the smaller has a 1″ center hole—don’t ask me why though.

I also did some measuring and drew up the profile for the carriage, which rides over two linear bearings (these, specifically). The last part I have to design now is the wire guide that will sit on the carriage. It will be machined from delrin, probably with a small-diameter hole going through it with a countersink on one side to guide the magnet wire through.

I also still need a coupler to go between the NEMA17 motor shaft and my 8mm steel rod. The ones I found are used in 3D printers and would be great except they’re built with some cuts so they flex (to prevent binding when things aren’t perfectly aligned I guess), but the flex is a non-starter for me. As soon as I installed one I saw how bad it was going to be for my purpose. However, this part will be easy to freehand on the lathe from some aluminum rod stock I have sitting around.

Tonight I hope to cut the pieces out on the laser and glue things up, and if I have enough time to also make the coupler on the lathe.

Advertisements

Author: homechicken

Dvorak Typist. Mandarin Speaker. Mugwump. Commander of Her Royal Majesty's 102nd Garden Gnome Regiment. Collector of Hobbies. Cat Whisperer. Maker of Things.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s